Git - File Status Lifcycle
File Status Lifcycle
- Each file in the working directory can be in one of two states:
- Tracked: tracked files are files that were in the last snapshot.They can be unmodified, modified, or staged.
- Untracked: untracked files are every thing else - any file(s) in the working directory that weren't in the last snapshot and aren't in the staging area.
- When we first clone a repository, all of our files will be tracked and unmodified because we just checked them out and haven't edited anything.
- As we edit files, Git sees them as modified, because we have changed them since our last commit.
- We stage these modified files and then commit all our staged changes, and the cycle repeats.